Список форумов T.A.T.U

FAQFAQ   ПоискПоиск   ПользователиПользователи   ГруппыГруппы   РегистрацияРегистрация 
 ПрофильПрофиль   Войти и проверить личные сообщенияВойти и проверить личные сообщения   ВходВход 
shop tatyofficial site   shop taty

Where did t.A.T.u. go wrong and where should they go...

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов T.A.T.U -> All about t.A.T.u
Предыдущая тема :: Следующая тема  
Автор Сообщение
itsme22

СообщениеДобавлено: Пн Сен 04, 2006 3:16 am    Заголовок сообщения: Where did t.A.T.u. go wrong and where should they go... Ответить с цитатой

I know there are already similar topics to this already open, so feel free to merge this into another topic if it's necessary... but I'm particularly interested in where you think things went wrong for the girls. I know people already think that D&M wasn't promoted enough, but there have had to have been other factors involved. This is personally what I think:

After the seperation from Shapovalov, it looks to me like the girls looked towards Interscope to take the intitiative in helping them with their sophomore album. I'm almost 100% sure that it was Martin Kierszenbaum who was able to convince Galoyan to work for the girls once again. I think Kierszenbaum was extremely involved with the creation of the second album and the girls probably had a lot of trust in him to help them since he was also very involved with 200KM/H... Honestly, I think that Kierszenbaum had more of his own interests in mind and, thus, lead them in the wrong direction. It was Kierszenbaum who managed to get Sting and and Richard Carpenter involved in the album. And I believe it was his decision to release Friend or Foe and Gomenasai as singles in order for him to make more profits, though they didn't have hit power. I believe he thought that the girls would be instantly on top again by simply releasing an album and I think this lead to the lack of quality in some of the songs.

Honestly, (though some may disagree) the quality of the songs in D&M isn't as good as those in the debut. A lot of the songs are very short and seem rushed. I think it was more important to the label (or those involved) to have an album out than to wait and release a good quality album. The girls have said in interviews that they believe D&M is a better album, but I doubt they truly believe it. They wouldn't say that they disliked the album, that would just be stupid.

THE FUTURE
For their third album with whichever label it may be, I think it's important for the girls to work with mostly Russian writers and producers, but still involve American/British producers. I think it would be wise for them to work with new, young Russian lyricists and composers, but still keep Galoyan and Polienko. I also think it's important for all the songs to be written in Russian and be translated into English by Russians as well. In my opinion, some of the translations for D&M were lacking and those for 200KM/H were good, but could have been better in some songs. I think it would also be wise for them to work with Russian directors for the videos, but still use the help of a non-Russian team. Also, I think it's important for the girls to choose all the songs on the album themselves and choose the singles themselves.

I know there are people out there don't believe that D&M wasn't a failure, but I disagree. Their debut sold 5 million, which is good considering the origins of the band, but in "the big picture" isn't that great, but it was a great achievement for the girls. I don't think the failure of D&M can be totally blamed on the lack of promotion. I think a lot of it had to do with the quality of the songs and the fact that people were disinterested in the songs because they weren't that great. I don't think that success of 200KM/H... was totally due to the "image." The lesbian appeal alone wouldn't have sold 5 million albums; the quality of the songs was good. I think all it would take for the girls to rise up again would be to find good, quality songs with substance and videos to match.

I doubt the management will ever read this... and even if they did, I doubt they'd pay attention to it, but it's just what I think.
Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
fifeman

СообщениеДобавлено: Пн Сен 04, 2006 5:56 am    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I can see where you're going with this, some I agree, some I don't, but everyone is going to have their own original opinion on this issue because of the complexity.

Me, I really liked D&M, however if someone came to me and said, "You must delete two songs from the album" I guess I'd say Craving and Gomenasai were the two weakest songs on the album. When looking at the whole, however, I liked the more thematic elements of this album compared to 200km.

200km had great songs, but D&M was a great album as a whole. You know the saying, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, to me that fits in with D&M. Compared to 200km, that album was a great collection of songs, not one song I'd ever agree to delete off.

Were there mistakes in execution of some of the songs, especially for the english release? Yeah, I'd say so. There were some songs I felt were too short and didn't have the proper build-up and there were some that repeated the chrous too much when more theme development could have happened, however this I feel falls on the writers. Also,there were some great songs on LI that should have made the english version that didn't. However, not knowing fully what the english version's lyrics would have been (yeah, you could translate but you and I know that isn't always what ends up as the finished product on their english albums;) I can't say for sure that it would fit with the theme the other songs on D&M were conveying.

Aside from that, however, I wouldn't personally call it a dud, it's still a great album. Was it another 200km as probably some of the higher ups in the label wanted? No way! It was its own thing, and probably the masses truly didn't want a new thing, they wanted more of the same. However, you find yourself becoming a businessperson rather than an artist when you just create for success rather than for keeping ones originality and trying new things.

Unfortunately, you see this with other mainstream acts. When they create an album that's successful, they quit evolving and create rehashes of the same material for each subsequent releases, creating staleness. Kudos to the girls and writers to truly go a different direction with this album vs. 200km. You've also seen other artists also go this route and also don't hit it as big with the next album after a huge hit. One that comes to mind immediately is Marilyn Manson. Recorded Antichrist Superstar, huge hit both for its music and controversy. However, instead of creating another anger, anti-religion fueled album, he goes a totally different direction, recording Mechanical Animals which dealt with drugs, lonliness, and depravity. However, it wasn't another Antichrist, and it didn't do near the numbers as A.S. did.

So what I'm saying is IMHO, 200km is a great collection of songs, D&M is a great album as a whole. There are some people that wanted another 200km and were disappointed when they didn't get it, but I was personally happy they decided on a different direction and style.

D&M went through some hard times and had its flaws, and I agree that, (even though they had a big gap between albums) from the point that album creation started, it was definately rushed and no time was allowed to truly develop each song because every song had the potential to be wonderful in their own way.

I think D&M was necessary, however, to create a blueprint for future releases, and I think in the long run that's the most important thing!
hayate

СообщениеДобавлено: Пн Сен 04, 2006 6:50 am    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I don't think they went wrong with their music. I like the directions LI and D&M took away from the earlier work. I like most of their earlier work too, but definately think LI and D&M are better. Both as albums and in their individual songs. What they have been doing live I like even better. I'd love to hear the way they would do some of their other songs live that they are not currently doing, both on the new albums and some on the old ones.

As for not being big hits, most quality music never becomes big hits. A lot of crap regularly does though. I've heard that the big hit route entails a lot of wheeling and dealing and money changing hands under the table. I imagine that gets tedious to artists concerned more about their music than their popularity. The band has already done the big hit route, and with quality music, maybe it's not that big a deal to them now and doing great music they want to do the way they want to do it is how they want to go. If it generates a lot of interest like before, great, if not, t.A.T.u. are talented enough that they will still attract enough fans to have a decent base.

Be interesting to see what they do next cause I bet some of it will be different from what many might expect.
Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dean

СообщениеДобавлено: Пн Сен 04, 2006 2:08 pm    Заголовок сообщения: Re: Where did t.A.T.u. go wrong and where should they go... Ответить с цитатой

itsme22 писал(а):
They wouldn't say that they disliked the album, that would just be stupid.

I think if they say the liked the album - then in general they liked the album.

They don't like Gomenasai, and they've let everybody know that! So if there's any ones opinion you can trust, it's theirs! ;-)

I haven't read the rest of your post yet, but the stuff about the label seems sort of right! :-)

I think the album is good quality, I just dont agree with the singles they chose. Kierszenbaum would have been better releasing 3 amazing singles, then if he really wanted to - take a chance with gomenasai on the last one - but they would NEED to make an AMAZING video for it to be a success!
The King of Sting

СообщениеДобавлено: Пн Сен 04, 2006 4:17 pm    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

For me, the failure to release HSIN as a single (although i think it did get released in Germany and Holland if memory serves) was where it went wrong. So much interest and momentum had been built up both in the US and UK throughout the first half of 2003, yet almost nothing was done in the second half save for the Tokyo dome shows so all that was not capitalised on. I think it may have done quite well, perhaps with some carryover interest from fans of the Smiths, of which there are many, who either loved it or hated it. Either way, it wouldn't have gone unnoticed. Of course, all of this was probably due to Beata Ardreava's accident in Turkey, which led to the entire tatu team going on more or less hiatus. You can't really say they've got back to where they were before this, regardless of what you think of D&M.
lenalover

СообщениеДобавлено: Пт Сен 08, 2006 7:23 am    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

" I also think it's important for all the songs to be written in Russian and be translated into English by Russians as well." itsme22

i dont particulary agree with this line. Because i think when russians translate into English, it doesnt quite make sense. They seem to be lazy in their song writing. They seems to just do a more or less direct tranlation of the song without taking into consideration it might not make sense.

Another thing is they are releasing the rubbish tracks off the album. Loves me not and Sacrifice are by far the best songs on the album once they have released all about us. Ive always known gomenasai would not make it as a single. it is simply not good enough for the UK charts. and Friend or Foe was pretty much a disaster. Might not have been so bad if they'd have some decent promotion.

To tatu's credit. All about Us was a great come back song and most artists that have such a big sell with their first album dont have a good come back single and end up fading away. It is such as shame because of iterscope would have played their cards right then tatu might have had another record company to go to. But lets just look forward to the greatest hits and if they good Gomenasai or friend or foe on the greatest hits. ill scream

www.faceparty.com/ashy_bashy
Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение Посетить сайт автора MSN Messenger
itsme22

СообщениеДобавлено: Пт Сен 08, 2006 11:58 pm    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

lenalover писал(а):
" I also think it's important for all the songs to be written in Russian and be translated into English by Russians as well." itsme22

i dont particulary agree with this line. Because i think when russians translate into English, it doesnt quite make sense. They seem to be lazy in their song writing. They seems to just do a more or less direct tranlation of the song without taking into consideration it might not make sense.

Could you tell me the name of a song that has been translated from Russian to English by a Russian? I don't know of any myself, so I can't confirm that your point is valid.

I'm sure there are people out there who are fluent in Russian and English who'd be willing to translate a song perfectly well allowing it to make sense, yet still have substance.
YaVernuz

СообщениеДобавлено: Сб Сен 09, 2006 7:16 am    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

The King of Sting писал(а):
For me, the failure to release HSIN as a single (although i think it did get released in Germany and Holland if memory serves)

It was released in Belgium and Luxemburg too. :)

Personally, I think Tatu went wrong a few times. Not the girls, but the people who were previously surrounding them. (Shapovalov, for example. Though he's a mastermind in my eyes -even if he's a bit erm, perverted-, he made mistakes, because he wanted provocation. Cancelling concerts for no particular reason -Tokyo 2003-, doesn't make you popular. And I don't agree with 'Even bad publicity is publicity', because I don't think the Japan people were happy with it.)

They had just a label that kind of didn't know how to do a proper job, but the girls themselves made right decisions, I think. It's too bad that some other people sometimes made mistakes in the girls' disadvantages, but I think that they have a lot of stuff to say at the moment.

Remember the Wembley Arena, that Lena said "We don't pick songs. They give us a load. It's not like we can say 'We take this one, this one, that one, and that one!'" Recently, Yulia bluntly said she couldn't stand "Gomenasai". And, as I may add, I've never liked Gomenasai either. I just don't think it's right to create and dedicate a song (To Japan, see paragraph above), if none of the singers is behind it. Songs should be personal, and although the girls don't write them themselves (Yet - Yulia), I'm sure they do something like ghost-writing, i.e. someone else writes the songs, but the girls' feelings are in it.

So yes, there might have been mistakes, but I'm sure that was the imcompetent behaviour of their previous workers. Recently, I find them very professional and good. An online shop, better information, a decent release list (We even get LMN as a clip again!), more frequent releases. I really respect their management at the moment, those people are doing an awesome job.

Let's face it, Tatu could've ended ages ago, by the mistakes some people made. Yet, they always faced everything, and they're still standing. I'm confident in the girls and their team. There'll be no pregnancy, personal problems or label problems or whatsoever being the cause of a delay of any matter.

I love 'em. :)

Visit me at www.myspace.com/yavernuz
Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение Отправить e-mail Посетить сайт автора MSN Messenger
lenalover

СообщениеДобавлено: Вс Сен 10, 2006 4:11 pm    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

itsme22 писал(а):
lenalover писал(а):

Could you tell me the name of a song that has been translated from Russian to English by a Russian? I don't know of any myself, so I can't confirm that your point is valid.

I'm sure there are people out there who are fluent in Russian and English who'd be willing to translate a song perfectly well allowing it to make sense, yet still have substance.

well i may be wrong but when i see the song writers name underneath the track name the names sound russian. thats why i made that point. if im wrong then scrap the comment.

www.faceparty.com/ashy_bashy
Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение Посетить сайт автора MSN Messenger
Jesse

СообщениеДобавлено: Вс Сен 10, 2006 5:01 pm    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

It's hard to understand, what would of happen if they had the power to choose the songs on their Dangerous & Moving album. I believe that none of the songs where strong enough to succeed All The Things She Said, or even to compete with the level of intensity the debut single brought. They came in with a scandalous behavior, that encouraged the media to spread the word of t.A.T.u in all sorts of advertisements. That spread a attitude towards every single person that the group craved popularity and ultimately that's what they received all across the globe. That was free advertisement that they didn't have to pay for, they also ultimately gained the lime-light from it in every single country across the globe with the free advertisement they required... To match that advertisement as it stands now, would cost them way to much to handle. That's why I believe they ultimately faded away in North America. When they toured in the states they had the free advertisement and now it would be to much for them to afford... I don't believe they will come close to their debut album, or even get to a chance to compete with the success... That's why I believe Interscope/Universal stepped in to their careers, because I believe that's what they saw also... Friend or Foe, could of been a great single but I don't believe the women's hearts were into the song... Gomenasai, also could of been a great single but it wasn't promoted correctly and when the women their selves said that they didn’t like it. That right their could cause a single’s failure... They dropped their scandalous behavior, and gained a more professional behavior. With personal changes, comes changes that their selves may not enjoy but it's ultimately what has to be done...

This is from a business aspect, and not a fan aspect. For reference to their futures, something has to be done... There can't be any prolonged time periods of away time, they have to work and work hard. Taking new years off is already one of the worse vacation times, due to it's one of the best times for promotional tactics... They should be inside of a studio, and recording their next album while touring the Dangerous & Moving album in Russia/Ukraine. For the prolonged time period of recording their third album wont cut into their fan base around the world. They have to hold their fan base, they currently have while producing what is expected out of them...

Ultimately it’s Lena’s and Yulia’s decision if they want more out of their careers or if they are happy with where they currently are...

This is all my own personal opinion, and may or may not correspond with other people's opinions.
When I say scandalous behavior, I mean in the eyes of the media.
I'm the definition of a hoodstar.
Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение MSN Messenger
MatthewGaw

СообщениеДобавлено: Вт Сен 12, 2006 4:25 am    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Gomenasai and All About Us are my top fav in D&M
Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение Посетить сайт автора Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xlander

СообщениеДобавлено: Вт Сен 12, 2006 4:51 am    Заголовок сообщения: Deadline for label? Ответить с цитатой

Hey.

YEah, I use to be around. I lost the URL to the site for a while. Then I just didn't want to recover my password. For about a month I wanted to get on but lazy. Reason for not being here.

On To topic...sucks that they are inparts with the record company. I heard that The Best is going to release. I read from Interscope. (I already d/led the cd). I plan to buy it with the DVD. But is there a deadline for them get a new label going or are they able to look for a WHILE now "free".

-X
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов T.A.T.U -> All about t.A.T.u Часовой пояс: GMT
Страница 1 из 1

Перейти: